Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Art Deco clocks - the why


I love French clocks from the Art Deco period - the years between the great wars. My affair with clocks began when I spotted a very dilapidated DEP clock in a flea market. The oval dial and elongated numbers caught my eye. The chrome case was in a sad condition, but I bought it because it was so unusual. Prior to that clocks had always been round with a bell on top that made enough noise to raise the dead. Between then and now, I have collected over 500 mechanical clocks made by one or another of the great manufacturers that have all disappeared.
DEP, Blangy, Jaz, Japy, Bayard, Diette Hour were the brands that through research revealed a successful clock making industry that supplied the mechanisms that until WWII, supported the renown of even the Swiss. clock makers.
Clocks are interesting objects. They all have the same basic functionality - to tell the time, yet between the wars clock makers and designers let their imaginations soar. Round, square, oval, half-moon, triangular dials with all sorts of numbering with marble, chrome, bakelite, brass and even gold and silver clock casings were produced and exported to Europe, America and even the Far East.
With each clock acquired came the curiosity of its origins. Where were the manufacturing plants and why? How many different models were produced? Old catalogues, books, clock fairs and even discussions with the descendants of the original manufacturers provided some answers.
Hopefully as I develop this blog, other clock enthusiasts will join me to exchange information.

12 comments:

  1. Help Me Please...Today, I bought a small solid brass wind up clock, made by Just, France. Size is about 3.5 x 2x2 inches. It has 15J, and keeps good time. The face is Deco with Roman numerals, and on the back of the case it says 'JUST' on a shield, and below that, FRANCE. I tried to find info on this clock, and found your site. I could send you a picture, if you needed it, to help you provide any info that you could. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michael

    Please send me a couple of photos of your clock - front and back.
    I know JUST clocks and will send you information as soon as I see it.
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your reply. I do not know your email address to use, to send you the photos.... when I open the back door of the clock, the movement is concealed behind a dust cover held in place by three small screws. I am not sure I want to tinker with the screws, as I might cause damage to the clock movement once the inside dust cover is removed. I rechecked the dimensions to learn I gave them to you wrong. The clock case (that looks like brass) is about two inches thick, about 3.5 inches wide, and about 4.5 inches tall.

      Delete
    2. I sent you three pictures of the clock. Perhaps you might want to respond to the email I used to send them to you, rather than posting here to your blog....

      Delete
  4. If you read the April 2012 posting, you'll find out about 'Just' clocks….send the pics to sushi134713 at gmail dot com;

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thanks for your reply to the pictures I sent you, I appreciate it. I wonder if you might provide an estimate of the value for that JUST clock. I was unable to find any info on Just clocks, other than what you provide.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recently bought a Bayard carriage clock with a rectangular top glass. Front dial is marked Made in France and Underneath dial Bayard.
    On the back plate is stamped ‘Seven Jewels unadjusted Duverdry & Bloquel France 84’
    I would be grateful if you could give me a rough indication of the age and it’s value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have beautiful Art Deco clock. Retailed by Phillips and MacConnal London. The movement is JUST R A 1628. I wondered if you could help me identify it to a designer. It is very like some Jean Puiforcat, who used JUST movements. Thanks Alan. UK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have a duverdy and bloquel french carriage clock has number 864 stamped on back and the face says smith and pearson boston. is stamped with lion says made in switzerland can you give me any info trying to put a value on it and stamped made in france

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi can anyone help me identify the time period of my clock, its stamped inside with the walking lion.
    I can send pictures

    ReplyDelete